Pina colada cupcakes
Prep time:(including icing time)
Skill level: Easy peasy
Totally tropical, moist pineapple flavoured cupcakes with a creamy, boozy coconut frosting, which are perfect for adult Caribbean-themed parties
- 55g/2oz unsalted butter, room temperature
- 140g/5oz sugar
- 120ml/4floz coconut milk
- 1 large egg
- 140g/5oz plain flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- 425g/15oz can of pineapple rings, drained and chopped small
- 175g/6oz caster sugar
- 1 egg white
- 2tbsp coconut rum, like Malibu
Not suitable for children: These cupcakes contain alcohol! If you're making these for kids, leave the rum out of the icing.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4. Line a 12-hole non-stick muffin tin with paper cases.
- Cream the butter and the sugar together until light and fluffy. Mix the coconut milk and egg together and add to the butter and sugar. don’t worry if it looks a little curdled at this stage.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder and add to the mixture, followed by the chopped pineapple.
- Divide the mixture between the muffin cases and bake in the oven for 20 mins until springy to the touch. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Place the icing ingredients in a heatproof bowl and place over a bowl of hot (not boiling) water. Use an electric whisk to beat the mixture until it thickens and forms soft peaks when you lift the whisk. This should take 5-6 mins. Remove the bowl from the heat and spread the icing on the cupcakes, working quickly before the icing sets. Decorate as you please.