Poached egg and bacon salad
If you haven't got bacon lardons, use 2 or 3 rashers of chopped streaky bacon.
- 100g (3½oz) unsmoked bacon lardons
- 1 slice bread, cut into small cubes
- 2 medium or large eggs
- 2 good handfuls of mixed salad leaves (we used rocket and chard)
- 10 baby plum tomatoes, halved
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1tsp white wine vinegar
- ½tsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Heat a frying pan, add the bacon and fry until golden and crispy. Take out of the pan with a draining spoon and set aside. Add the bread cubes to the pan, and fry in the bacon fat until browned and crispy.
- Meanwhile poach the eggs, pour boiling water, 10cm (4in) in depth, into a small pan, over a high heat. Add a dash of white wine vinegar. When water boils again, break egg into pan.
- As water comes back to the boil, gather egg white round yolk, using a draining spoon. Turn down heat. Simmer for a minute for a soft egg, longer for a firmer one.
- Lift the egg out of the pan with the draining spoon and put into a bowl of warm water if cooking more than one or two eggs. Add another egg to the pan.How to poach an egg video
- Mix together the dressing ingredients. Put a good handful of salad leaves on to 2 plates. Divide the bacon, croutons, tomatoes and celery between them. Spoon drained eggs on top, drizzle the salad with dressing and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 145(kcal)
- Fat 9.5g
- Saturates 3.0g
- Sugars 0.0g
- Salt 0.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.