Vanilla fairy cakes
Cooking time:(may need an extra 3 mins)
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Quick and easy, we've added great ideas for these fairy cake decorations like topping with chocolate frosting or making rose decorations.
IngredientsFor the fairy cakes:
- 125g (5oz) plain flour
- 250g (9oz) condensed milk
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 85g (3oz) margarine or butter
- 1½ tsp baking powder
For the frosting:
- 200g (7oz) icing sugar
- 55g (2oz) margarine or butter, softened
- Few drops vanilla extract
- 1-2 tbsp condensed milk
- Sugar sprinkles or cake decorations, to decorate
- 12-hole muffin tin
- 12 muffin cases
For a chocolate frosting: Beat 3tbsp cocoa powder into the icing.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F, gas mark 4).
- Place the flour, condensed milk, egg, vanilla extract, margarine and baking powder in a bowl and beat with an electric hand mixer for 2-3 mins until pale and fluffy.
- Spoon into the muffin cases and bake for approximately 15-18 mins until springy to the touch and golden brown. Cool slightly then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Beat the icing sugar, butter and vanilla with enough condensed milk to bring the mixture to a soft consistency. Spread or pipe onto the cakes. Decorate as desired.
- Find natural colourings, shimmery edible glitter and sprinkles in all good supermarkets and specialist cake shops.
- For a really special occasion decorate with sugared rose petals by simply dipping fresh rose petals in egg white, dusting with sugar and leaving to dry out overnight.