Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
A traditional British salad recipe of creamy mature Cheddar cheese, crunchy salad leaves, sweet tomatoes and croutons with a tangy cider vinegar salad dressing drizzled all over
- 1 small ciabatta loaf, broken roughly into 2cm cubes
- 2tbsp of olive oil
- 200g cherry tomatoes
- 2 little gem lettuces, leaves separated, washed and dried
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 1 apple, cored and sliced
- 6 pickled onions, cut in half
- 100g lighter mature Cheddar cheese like Cathedral City Mature Lighter, grated
- 2tbsp cider vinegar
- 1tsp soft brown sugar
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
To cut down even further on the fat and saturated fat in this salad make your own fat free dressing by removing the olive oil.Juliette Kellow, nutritionist
- Heat the oven to 200ºC. Toss the ciabatta cubes in olive oil, then place on a baking sheet. Bake in the oven, (giving a good mix halfway through at which point you should add the cherry tomatoes to the baking sheet) for 15 mins.
- To make the dressing mix together the vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Place the croutons, tomatoes, lettuce, onion, pickled onions and cheese into a mixing or salad bow.
- Pour over the dressing and give a good mix. Serve between 4 plates and eat straight away.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 453(kcal)
- Fat 22.7g
- Saturates 6.2g
- Sugars 11.3g
- Salt 1.8g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.