Annabel Karmel's chicken Caesar salad
Skill level: Easy peasy
Served with star-shaped bread croutons, kids will love this tasty chicken salad served in fun lettuce cups or in filling wraps.
- 2 slices white or brown bread
- 2tbsp sunflower oil
- 4tbsp mayonnaise
- 2tbsp Greek yogurt
- 15g (½oz) grated Parmesan cheese. plus extra to serve
- 1tsp lemon juice
- 3-4 drops Worcestershire sauce (or to taste)
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 225g (8oz) cooked chicken, diced
- 8 Little Gem leaves
- 4 flour tortilla wraps (if making wraps)
Annabel Karmel's party planning tip: The croûtons can be made a day ahead and stored in an airtight box. The chicken salad can also be made a day in advance and stored, covered, in the fridge until needed.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (350°F, gas mark 4).
- Cut star shapes from the bread using a small star-shaped cutter (or trim off the crusts and cut the slices into 1cm (½") cubes) and put in a bowl. Drizzle over the oil and toss until coated.
- Spread the bread out on a baking sheet and bake for 5 mins.
- Carefully turn the croûtons over and bake for a further 5-8 mins, until golden, watching carefully. Leave to cool.
- Mix together the mayonnaise, yogurt, Parmesan cheese, lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce and season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the cooked chicken.
- To serve in lettuce cups: divide the chicken salad between the Little Gem leaves. Sprinkle each with a little grated Parmesan and a few croûtons.
- To serve as wraps: warm the wraps in a microwave for 5-10 secs or place in a warm oven for 5 mins. Meanwhile, finely shred the lettuce leaves. Scatter the lettuce down the centre of the wraps and spoon the chicken salad over. Sprinkle each with a little grated Parmesan and a few croûtons, roll up and serve immediately.
Note: You can omit the croûtons from the wrap version if you prefer. It's also fun to roll up each wrap in foil and scrunch one end to seal. The children can then eat the wraps, peeling the foil away as they eat, without worrying about dripping any dressing on the sofa!
Buy Annabel Karmel's Princess Party Cookbook from Amazon for £7.75 (RRP £12.99)