Luxury fish pie
Skill level: Bit of effort
Woman's Weekly's Cookery Editor, Sue McMahon, shows us how to make her luxury fish pie recipe in this simple step-by-step video recipe. This fish pie serves 4-6 people and will take 50 mins to make. This delicious fish pie has a crisp, pastry top which makes it different to a traditional fish pie which is topped with mashed potato. The luxurious, rich and creamy sauce really adds a depth of flavour to your pie making it extra special. Serve this golden wonder at dinner parties or as a special treat instead of your Sunday roast.
- 600ml (1pint) milk
- 1 bay leaf
- Approximately 1kg (2lb) fish, like salmon, cod and large raw tiger prawns
- 3 medium eggs, hard boiled, peeled and quartered
- 50g (13/4oz) butter
- 50g (13/4oz) plain flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1-2 level tbsp freshly chopped dill
- 375g packet ready-rolled puff pastry
- Beaten egg, for glaze
- Set the oven to hot 220°C or gas mark 7.
- Pour the milk into a large saucepan or saute pan.
- Add the fish to the pan and bring to the boil.
- Cover the pan and remove it from the heat and leave it for about 5 mins for the fish to cook.
- Drain the fish, reserving the liquor, and break it into large pieces and place in the base of a pie dish along with the quartered hard-boiled eggs.
- Melt the butter and add the plain flour and cook it over a medium heat for 1-2 mins to cook the flour then gradually beat in the cooking liquor to give a smooth sauce.
- Season the sauce to taste and stir in the dill. Pour the sauce over the fish and leave it to cool slightly.
- Trim off the edges of the pastry. Dampen the rim of the pie dish with water and stick the trimmings around the edge of the dish. Use a small sharp-bladed knife to score the pastry. Dampen the rim of pastry with water and lift the large piece over the top. Press the pastry down well around the rim of the dish to seal it and ‘knock-back’ the edges.
- Make one or 2 holes in the top of the pastry and then brush over the egg glaze. Place the pie on a baking tray and bake in the centre of the oven for 25-35 mins, or until the pastry has risen and is a golden colour and the filling is bubbling.
- Serve the pie immediately with salad, or carrots and green beans.
Fancy making a traditional fish pie? Try our classic fish pie recipe
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.