Woman's Weekly almond and raspberry sponge cake
IngredientsFor the cake:
- 5 large eggs
- 150g (5oz) caster sugar
- 125g (4oz) plain flour
- 2 level tbsp cornflour
- 50g ground almonds
- 30g (1oz) butter, melted
- Few drops almond extract
- 4tbsp caster sugar
- 2tbsp kirsch
- 170g carton raspberries
- 2tbsp icing sugar
- 1tbsp kirsch
- 142-170ml carton double cream
- 142-170ml whipping cream
- 1tbsp icing sugar
- 50g toasted flaked almonds
- 170g carton raspberries
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- 2 x 20cm (8in) round sandwich tins, buttered and base lined
- Set the oven to 180°C (gas mark 4).
- To make the cake, whisk the egg, caster sugar and almond extract together, preferably using a table top mixer, until the mixture is thick and pale, and a trail is left when the whisk is lifted out of the mixture. Sift the flour and cornflour over the top of the whisked mixture and then fold in gently.
- Add the ground almonds to the bowl and pour the butter around the edge of the bowl, then fold into the mixture until only just mixed – take care not to overmix.
- Divide the mixture between the two prepared tins – weighing the tins will help to make sure that the same amount of mixture is put into each tin. Bake the cakes in the centre of the oven for 20-25 mins, or until the cakes have risen and are springy to the touch in the centre.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and leave them to cool in the tins for about 10 mins, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the syrup, pour 4tbsp water into a small saucepan and add the caster sugar. Place the pan over a low heat and stir until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat and bring the mixture to the boil and boil it rapidly for about 1 min, then remove the pan from the heat. Leave the syrup to cool for about 5 mins, then add the kirsch, and then brush the warm syrup over the tops of the cakes and leave it to soak in.
- For the filling, mash the raspberries with 1tbsp icing sugar and the kirsch. Whip the cream with the remaining 1tbsp icing sugar until it forms soft peaks and then fold this into the mashed raspberries
- Use the raspberry cream to sandwich the two layers of cake together.
- For the decoration, whip the cream with the icing sugar until it forms soft peaks and then spread it over the top and sides of the cake. Tip the flaked almonds onto a sheet of baking parchment and then gently press them against the sides of the cake.
- Arrange the raspberries on the top in the centre and dust with icing sugar just before serving.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.