Phil Vickery's caramel swirl chocolate brownies
Serve with a small dollop of ice cream, a little more caramel and an espresso for the perfect way to finish a meal.
- 150g (5Ĺoz) butter
- 200g (7oz) dark chocolate
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 175g (6oz) soft light brown sugar
- 55g (2oz) plain flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 55g (2oz) walnut pieces (optional)
- 4-6tbsp caramel, plus extra to serve (try Carnations)
- Preheat the oven to 180ļC, 350ļ F, gas mark 4. Grease and line a 20cm (8in) square baking tin.
- Melt the butter with 55g (2oz) of the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of hot water.
- Beat the eggs with the sugar in a large bowl, then sift in the flour, and baking powder. Stir in the melted chocolate mixture, and beat together until well blended.
- Chop the remaining chocolate into rough chunks and stir into the brownie mixture, with the walnuts. Spoon into the tin and spread evenly.
- Beat the caramel in a small bowl and swirl into the mix. Bake for about 30 mins, the cake should begin to shrink slightly from the sides of the tin.
- When cool cut the brownie cake into squares.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.