Cooking time:(may need an extra 10 mins)
Skill level: Bit of effort
This American blueberry pie recipe is a classic. Made with soft buttery pastry and packed with heaps of tangy blueberries, this easy pie is perfect. This recipe shows you how to make both the filling and the delicious pie crust from scratch. If you want to give this pie a twist, you can add different berries to the mix too; how about a pack of mixed, seasonal berries instead? It will take you just over an hour to make and serves around 6-8 people. Everyone will love this classic pie with cream or ice cream! Once you've mastered this recipe you'll want to make it time and time again.
- 1.5kg frozen blueberries
- 12tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 255g of plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 140g hard butter
- 6tsp cold water
- 3 - 6tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 large egg yolk
- Caster sugar to serve
It's OK to use a food processor for your pastry, but don't let it blend to the point where it forms a ball or it will be overworked. When it looks like it is starting to 'clump', take it out of the processor and knead together with the heel of your hand.
- Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl and fold in the butter until the mixture is course and fine, like breadcrumbs. Then add the cold water to the flour mixture and knead it in until the dough is firm and the colour even.
- Place the berries into a saucepan over a medium heat and, using a potato masher, mash the berries to release the juices, and add corn starch. Continue to cook, stirring frequently and occasionally mashing until around half of the berries are broken down and the mixture is generally thickened and reduced (takes about 8 mins). Let it all cool.
- Preheat the oven to 220ºC.
- Divide the pastry in two and take one half and roll it out into a 12-inch circle. Add a few sprinkles of flour to keep the dough from sticking. Gently fold in half and place onto an 8-9 inch plate, lining up the fold with the centre of the pan. Gently unfold the pastry and press down to line the dish with the dough.
- Add the fruit filling to the dough-lined pie pan. Trim any excess dough with a knife, leaving a 3/4 inch overhang.
- Roll out a second disk of dough, as before. Gently turn over onto the top of the berries in the pie. Pinch the top and bottom of the dough together. Trim excess dough with a knife, leaving a 3/4 inch overhang. Fold the dough under itself so that the edge of the fold is flush with the edge of the pan. Flute the edges using your thumb and forefinger.
- Beat the egg yolk with the milk and cream, brush onto the surface of the pie with a pastry brush. Prick the surface of the pastry lightly before placing the pie in the oven to let any excess steam out. Cook for 20-30 mins. Slide on to a serving plate, dust with caster sugar and serve.