Cooking time:(plus 30 mins to chill)
Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Bit of effort
Chocolate macaroons are the perfect sweet treat for a special occasion. Theyíre a great alternative to richer deserts because theyíre so light, and they also look beautiful on the table and add sophistication to any celebration. This chocolate alternative to the classic macaroons recipe only requires five ingredients and itís also very quick to make, which is great if youíre short on time. Not only will guests feast on their delightful appearance, they will also love the delicious chocolate filling Ė especially the kids! For the filling youíll only need hazelnut chocolate spread, so itís quite a simple way to impress visitors with your baking skills. If you make more than you need, then just keep the unfilled macaroons in an airtight container for up to a week. Filled macaroons are best eaten on the day. Besides being great party food, chocolate macaroons can also make for very thoughtful gifts for friends and family, or anyone you need to get on your good side. To make your life easier in the kitchen, Woman's Weekly's Cookery Editor, Sue McMahon, shows you how to make these popular chocolate macaroons so you can follow along with her in our simple step-by-step video.
The unfilled macaroons will keep in an airtight container for up to a week. They are best eaten on the day that they are filled.
- 175g (6oz) icing sugar
- 2 level tbsp cocoa
- 2 medium egg whites
- 30g (1oz) caster sugar
- 90g (3oz) ground almonds
- 6-8tbsp hazelnut chocolate spread
- Piping bag fitted with 1cm plain piping tube
- Baking sheet, lined with non-stick liner or baking parchment
- Sift the icing sugar and cocoa together a couple of times onto a plate, so that they are well mixed.
- Whisk the egg whites and caster sugar together until stiff then fold in the icing sugar mixture and ground almonds. Fill the piping bag with the mixture and pipe about 36-40 small balls onto the lined baking sheet. Press down any points with a damp finger.
- Leave the baking sheet in a warm place for a minimum of 30 mins, so that a the skin over the piped balls skins over and they feel dry on the surface when touched with a clean dry finger.
- Set the oven to cool 150įC or gas mark 2.
- Bake the macaroons in the centre of the oven for 10-15 mins until they have just set. Remove the macaroons from the oven and leave them to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Sandwich 2 macaroons together with some of the hazelnut chocolate spread.
Looking for food gifts? We've got plenty more to choose from!
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.