Caramel and pistachio trifles
- 175g sultanas
- 2tbsp light Muscovado sugar
- 5tbsp sweet sherry, eg Tesco Finest rich and fruity Pedro Ximénez
- 3 oranges, peeled and segmented
- 200g Madeira cake, cut into small slices
- 500ml pot ready-made vanilla custard
- 100g pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
- 3tbsp caster sugar
Add chopped dried figs to the sultanas for a great sticky sweetness. Fancy a change from custard? Use Greek yogurt sweetened with a little honey.
- Put the sultanas and sugar in a bowl and pour over sherry, add the orange segments and any remaining juice.
Leave to soak for a few hours or overnight if you have time.
- Spoon sultana and orange mixture into 6 small serving glasses, top with slices of Madeira cake - press them down slightly to soak up the juices. Top with custard.
- Meanwhile, put pistachios and caster sugar in a non-stick frying pan. Cook over a medium heat, stirring, until the sugar begins to melt and form small clusters of nuts. Transfer to a plate and allow to cool. Scatter the nuts over the custard just before serving.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 472(kcal)
- Fat 15.0g
- Saturates 4.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.