Crunchy garlic and herb chicken parcels
Value range buys
- 125g butter, softened
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 plump, skinless chicken breasts
- 4tbsp plain flour
- 200g breadcrumbs, from sliced loaf
You'll also need
- 1tbsp dried parsley
- 1/2tsp paprika
- 1tbsp dried thyme
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 200ml vegetable oil, for shallow frying
To prep in advance, follow up to step 4 the day before. Remove from the fridge for 30 mins, then complete the recipe from step 5.
- Heat oven to Mark 6/200°C.
- Mix together the butter with the garlic and parsley, season with salt, wrap in clingfilm and roll up tightly to make a long, thin sausage. Chill in the fridge.
- With a sharp knife, make an incision in the plump side of each chicken breast, to a make a pocket. Slice the butter into 6 pieces and stuff into the pockets. Toss the chicken in the flour.
- Mix the breadcrumbs and paprika with the thyme and season well. Dip each chicken breast first into the egg, then roll in the breadcrumbs until well coated. Secure each with a cocktail stick to keep the butter in as much as possible.
- Heat the oil until hot - it’s ready when a piece of bread turns golden after 30 secs. Fry the chicken in 2 batches for 1-2 mins on each side until golden, then transfer to a shallow roasting tin. Bake for 15-20 mins until cooked through. Remove cocktail sticks and drizzle with any escaped butter to serve.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 675(kcal)
- Fat 41.0g
- Saturates 15.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.