Skill level: Bit of effort
This classic Southern-fried chicken recipe is so easy! Crispy on the outside, this Southern-style chicken's so much better than takeaway chicken. This recipe serves 4 people and will take around 45 mins to prepare and cook. This spicy chicken has a crisp batter with soft, tender pieces of cooked chicken inside. It's a real family favourite and is much healthier for you than your average takeaway (plus its probably just as quick to make too!) This recipe cheat's and uses readymade fajita spice mix which means the spice is subtle but if you want to bump up the fire factor we'd recommend adding a teaspoon of mild or hot chilli powder to the mix.
- 8 mixed organic free-range chicken drumsticks and thighs
- 75g plain flour
- 1 organic free-range egg, beaten
- 35g sachet fajita seasoning
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 75g fine polenta
- 100ml vegetable oil for shallow frying
Cut the costs of this recipe by using chicken thigh meat instead - it'll taste just as good!
- Heat the oven to Mark 6/200˚C. Fit a grill pan rack into a large shallow roasting tin. In a large bowl, toss the chicken in 2tbsp flour, then dip into the beaten egg to coat thoroughly.
- In another large bowl, combine fajita seasoning (reserve 2tsp for the fries), chilli powder, polenta and remaining flour. Add the chicken pieces, one at a time, turning to coat well.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan until hot, add half the chicken, and cook for about 3-4 mins, turning regularly until golden all over. Transfer to the rack. Fry the remaining chicken and bake all together for about 25 mins, until cooked through.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 480(kcal)
- Fat 25.0g
- Saturates 4.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.