Blueberry scones with clotted cream and jam
- 225g self-raising flour, plus extra for rolling
- 75g unsalted butter, diced, at room temperature
- 60g caster sugar, plus 1tsp for sprinkling
- 100g fresh blueberries
- 1 large free-range egg, beaten
- 3tbsp buttermilk
- 227g clotted cream
- 250g ready-made summer fruit compote
To keep scones light and airy, make sure you don't knead the dough - it needs very little handling.
- Heat the oven to Mark 6/200°C. Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl and add a pinch of fine salt. Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar and blueberries. Make a well in the centre and add the egg and buttermilk; mix using a round-bladed knife. With one hand, bring the mixture together to make a soft dough. Add a little more buttermilk if the mixture is dry.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough out to about 2.5cm thick. Using a cutter (6-8cm) cut out 8-10 rounds and transfer to a greased baking tray. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 20 mins until risen and golden. Allow to cool slightly before serving with clotted cream and fruit compote.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 389-311(kcal)
- Fat 27.0g
- Saturates 16.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.