Lemon and poppy seed drizzle cubes
- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 large free-range eggs, beaten
- 175g self-raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 75g ground almonds
- Zest and juice of 3 lemons
- 25g poppy seeds
For the soaking drizzle
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 100g icing sugar, sifted
- 1tbsp goldencaster sugar
For a pretty topping, mix the juice of 1/2 lemon with 100g sifted icing sugar. Drizzle over the cooled cake and leave to set.
- Heat the oven to Mark 4/180°C. Grease and line a loose-based 20cm square cake tin. With an electric whisk, beat the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Beat in the eggs, a little at a time, beating well after each addition and adding a spoonful of flour if the mixture begins to curdle.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into the bowl and fold. Add the ground almonds, lemon zest and juice and poppy seeds, and fold together until combined. Spoon into the cake tin and bake for 50 mins-1 hr or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack while you make the drizzle. Mix together the lemon juice and icing sugar to form a runny syrup. Make holes on the top of the cake with a cocktail stick or skewer. Spoon over the drizzle, allowing it to soak in. Leave to cool completely in the tin. Toss the lemon zest with the caster sugar and scatter on the top to serve.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 372-279(kcal)
- Fat 23.0g
- Saturates 11.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.