Double cheese and chive souffle
- 40g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 30g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- Grated fresh nutmeg
- 1/2tsp English mustard powder
- 225ml whole milk
- 4 medium organic free-range eggs, separated
- 50g Parmesan, finely grated
- 50g Cheddar, coarsely grated
- Handful chives, finely chopped
To check for freshness, gently drop eggs into a bowl of cold water. If they sink they are fresh, if they float to the surface they are old and should be thrown away. Always use eggs as fresh as possible for the best flavour. If there’s a visible blood spot on the yolk, it’s still safe to eat - just ease it off with the tip of a knife.
- Heat the oven to Mark 5/190°C. Butter 4x250ml ovenproof ramekins or soufflé dishes, dust with plain flour and put on a baking tray. Melt the butter in a pan, stir in the flour, nutmeg and mustard; season and cook for 1 min. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly until smooth and thick.
- Cool the mixture for a few mins before beating in the egg yolks, Parmesan and Cheddar and the chives until all the ingredients are well combined.
- In a large, clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Add a spoonful to the cheese sauce to loosen it, then gently fold in another spoonful, using a metal spoon, followed by the remainder.
- Spoon into the prepared ramekins or soufflé dishes, until almost full (about 0.5cmfrom the top of the dish). Bake for about 10 mins, until risen and golden and serve immediately.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 342(kcal)
- Fat 26.0g
- Saturates 14.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.