Berry brandy snap layer cake
- 500g mixed summer fruit - strawberries, blackberries, raspberries and blueberries
- 1tbsp caster sugar
- 2tbsp liqueur, such as Amaretto, Framboise, Cassis or Cointreau
For the brandy snap rounds
- 50g unsalted butter
- 50g golden syrup
- 50g caster sugar
- 100g plain flour
- good pinch ground ginger
For the vanilla cream
- 500ml double cream
- 1tsp vanilla extract/paste
- 1tbsp icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
- Put the fruit in a bowl, sprinkle with 1tbsp sugar and liqueur, and toss together, cover and set aside. To make the brandy snaps, heat the oven to Mark 5/190C. Cut 4 sheets of baking paper, draw a 20cm circle onto each, then turn each sheet over.
- Gently melt the butter, syrup and caster sugar together until liquid. Stir to combine. Add all the flour and ginger, and stir briefly to bring the mixture together to form a soft dough. Divide into 4 and shape each piece into a ball.
- While the dough is still warm, put a ball in the centre of each baking-paper template. Press out with the heel of your hand, cover with clingfilm, then roll out until you have a very thin circle just covering the pencil marking. Trim edge with knife.
- Remove clingfilm, transfer to baking trays and bake 2 at a time for 4-6 mins until golden brown (they turn very quickly!). Slide the baking paper off the trays and cool rounds on wire racks. When cold and crisp, peel off baking paper.
- For the filling, whisk together the cream, vanilla and icing sugar until softly whipped. Layer the brandy snap rounds with cream and fruit to form a stack. Top with a little fruit and sprinkle with icing sugar to serve.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 389(kcal)
- Fat 31.0g
- Saturates 19.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.