Coq au vin blanc
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 6 chicken legs, seasoned
- 18 small shallots, peeled and root trimmed (approx 275g)
- 250g small chestnut mushrooms
- 200g smoked bacon lardons
- 2tbsp plain flour
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 200ml chicken stock
- 350ml white wine (Riesling or Sauvignon blanc)
- 3 bay leaves
- 8 thyme sprigs
- 4tbsp crème fraîche
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
To save time peeling the shallots, pour boiling water over them, leave for 1 min, then drain and remove the skins.
- Heat a large casserole, add the oil and fry the chicken until golden; remove and set aside. Add the shallots, mushrooms and lardons, and fry for 5 mins or until golden. Stir in flour and garlic, cook for 1-2 mins, then gradually stir in chicken stock and wine, and bring to the boil.
- Add the bay leaves and thyme, return the chicken to the pan and simmer for 25-30 mins until cooked through.
- Stir in the crème fraîche and lemon juice; season to taste.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 400(kcal)
- Fat 23.0g
- Saturates 8.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.