Chicken pilau rice
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
Fancy something hot and spicy but a bit lighter than a curry? This healthy, easy to follow, low-fat recipe for chicken pilau rice ticks all the boxes.
- 225g basmati rice
- 400g chicken
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger, crushed
- 1 1/2 tsps garlic, crushed
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp green chillies, crushed
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 600 ml water
You can make the same recipe using lamb or mutton instead of chicken. Trim any fat off the meat first.
- Wash the rice and leave it to soak in cold water for 20 minutes
- Remove the skin from the chicken
- Cut the chicken into bite size pieces and transfer to a saucepan. Add enough cold water to cover the chicken and bring it to the boil. As soon as the water starts to boil, turn off the heat and drain off the water.
- heat the oil in a large non-stick pan, add the onions and cook until brown. Stir in the ginger and garlic and then the tomato. Cook for a minute and then add the remaining ingredients except for the rice, followed by the chicken.
- Add 50ml of the water and cook on a high heat for 5 minutes. The reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the rice and the remaining water. Cover and cook on a high heat until it starts to boil, then reduce the heat to low and cook until all the water has evaporated.
- Remove from the heat and allow to stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.