Strawberry and custard tart
IngredientsFor the pastry:
- 340g packet sweet dessert pastry
- Beaten egg, for glaze
- 2 level tsp powdered gelatine
- ½ x 500g carton chilled vanilla custard
- 500g (1lb) small strawberries, hulled
- 35g sachet of red Quick Jel
- Sprigs of mint, for decoration
- 23cm (9in) fluted flan tin
- Set the oven to gas mark 4 or 180°C. Roll pastry out on a lightly floured surface and use it to line the flan tin. Chill for about 12-15 mins before cooking.
- Cover the pastry case with a sheet of baking parchment and fill with baking beans. Place flan tin on a baking sheet and bake, in centre of the oven, for 10 mins. Remove from the oven and take out baking parchment with the baking beans. Brush the pastry with the egg glaze. Return to the oven and cook for a further 10 mins or until the pastry is light golden and cooked through.
- Remove from the oven. Leave pastry case to cool in tin for about 10 mins, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Measure 2tbsp water into a bowl and sprinkle in the gelatine. Leave gelatine to sponge for a few mins, then melt it either in a microwave or over a pan of hot water. Stir the melted gelatine into the vanilla custard.
- Place pastry case on serving plate. Pour custard into it. Chill case until custard sets. Quarter the strawberries and scatter them on top of tart. Make up the Quick Jel following packet instructions, and spoon over the strawberries. Leave to set. Decorate with mint just before serving.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 380(kcal)
- Fat 21.0g
- Saturates 5.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.