Strawberry and chocolate slice
- 600ml carton double cream
- 250g (8oz) icing sugar
- Few drops of vanilla extract
- 250g (8oz) strawberries
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 200g bar plain chocolate, melted
- Strawberries, to decorate
- 1kg (2lb) loaf tin, or mould, preferably silicone
- 2 x large, disposable piping bags
- Pour the cream into a bowl, add the icing sugar and a few drops of vanilla extract, and whip until it forms soft peaks.
- Purée the strawberries with the caster sugar and then fold in half of the cream mixture.
- Divide the remaining cream mixture in half. Keep one half plain, then gradually stir the other half into the melted chocolate (add the cream gradually, so the chocolate doesn’t set too quickly).
- Pour a thin layer of the strawberry mixture into the base of the loaf tin and freeze it until solid. Then, fill a piping bag with the plain cream mixture and cut off the end of the bag to give a hole about 2cm (¾in) in diameter. Pipe balls all over the strawberry layer. Freeze until solid.
- Remove the pan from the freezer and pour over a strawberry-cream layer to cover the white balls. Put back in the freezer and freeze until it’s solid.
- Fill the other piping bag with chocolate mixture and cut off the end of the bag to give a hole about 2cm (¾in) in diameter. Pipe balls all over the strawberry ice. Freeze until the chocolate balls are solid. Remove it from the freezer and pour over the remaining strawberry mixture. Freeze until solid.
- Remove from the freezer and turn the slice out of the mould on to a serving plate: If using a silicone mould, it just needs peeling away; if it’s a metal tin, dip it briefly into hot water, dry the tin and then tip the slice out on to a plate. Decorate with halved strawberries before serving.
- Once frozen, wrap the tin in a freezer bag and keep frozen for up to 1 month.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 634(kcal)
- Fat 46.0g
- Saturates 29.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.