Beef and pepper stir-fry
- 2tbsp oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 4cm (1½in) piece ginger, cut into fine slices or strips
- 1 rump steak, about 300g (10oz), cut into fine slices
- 1 red and 1 green pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 125g (4oz) mushrooms (chestnut, cup, shiitake or oyster), sliced
- 100g (3½ oz) mangetout, halved lengthways
- 300g (10oz) fresh bean sprouts
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and chopped
- 3-4tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2tbsp soy sauce
- 2tbsp dry sherry
- Pinch of sugar
- 250g (8oz) noodles, to serve
- About 250g (8oz) pak choi, to serve
- Heat oil in a wok or frying pan, and fry garlic and ginger over a medium heat until crisp. Take out with a draining spoon and drain on kitchen paper on a baking tray.
- Add the meat to the wok and stir-fry for 1 min, take it out of the wok and put on it on the baking tray. Add pepper slices to the wok, cook for 1 min, then add the mushrooms and stir-fry for a min. Add mangetout, then the bean sprouts and spring onions.
- Stir in the sauces, sherry and 3tbsp water, with the sugar, then put the beef back in for 30 secs.
- Serve with the garlic and ginger sprinkled on top.
- To prepare the noodles: Put the noodles in a bowl. Pour boiling water over to cover. Add pak choi leaves and leave for 4 mins.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 495(kcal)
- Fat 15.0g
- Saturates 4.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.