Fresh spring vegetable stew
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 4 shallots or 1 medium onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 100ml dry white wine
- 900ml hot vegetable stock
- 400g Jersey Royal or other new potatoes, cut into wedges
- About 500g mix of vegetables, such as Chantenay carrots (or baby carrots), halved if large, a small head of fennel, 4-6 baby leeks, and a handful of frozen peas
- 1tbsp coarse-grain mustard
- 1tsp Dijon mustard
- Good handful of mixture of fresh chives, tarragon and parsley, or parsley, chopped
Add 400g (14oz) cannellini beans to it, or serve with hot chickpeas mashed with oil and chopped parsley.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and gently fry the shallot for 5 mins. Add the garlic and fry for another couple of minutes. Add wine and reduce it by half.
- Pour in stock and bring it to a simmer. Add the potatoes, then after 5 mins, add the carrots and after 5 mins, add the thinly sliced fennel and the split leeks. Keep the pan halfcovered. Cook for 5 mins.
- Stir in the peas and cook for about a min or so, then add the mustards and herbs.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 221(kcal)
- Fat 6.0g
- Saturates 1.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.