Chicken schnitzel with fennel slaw
- 2 chicken breasts, skin removed
- 2tsp plain flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 2 slices white bread, crusts removed, coarsely grated, or 45g (1½oz) white breadcrumbs
- 2tbsp finely grated Parmesan
- Knob of butter
- 1tbsp olive oil
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- 1 small fennel bulb
- 1 small red onion, peeled, optional
- 1 tablespoon small capers,
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- A few fennel fronds
Cookery Editor, Sue McMahon, says it's handy to keep a stock of breadcrumbs in the freezer for when you are in a hurry. This recipe is delicious served with chickpeas, warmed and mashed with garlic, olive oil and parsley.
- Flatten the chicken breasts between 2 pieces of cling film, using a rolling pin. Coat them in seasoned flour, dip
- in beaten egg, then coat in breadcrumbs mixed with the grated Parmesan.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a pan over a medium heat and cook the chicken for 4-5 mins each side, until cooked through. Add the lemon wedges to the pan for half a min.
- Meanwhile, make the fennel slaw. Finely slice fennel, and onion, if using. Mix with capers, mayonnaise and lemon juice, to taste. Add some fronds from fennel bulb.
- Serve with the chicken.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 567(kcal)
- Fat 35.0g
- Saturates 11.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.