Hairy Bikers' steak and ale pie
Skill level: Bit of effort
Steak and ale pie is one of the most comforting dishes you can make and this recipe by the Hairy Bikers is not only really easy to follow, it's delicious too! You can't beat good, hearty British grub for a bit of comfort food and Si and Dave don't disappoint with this famous pie recipe. Tried and tested and guaranteed by the goodtoknow audience, this beef and ale pie recipe is a classic dish for the whole family. This delicious meat pie should take approximately 1hr and 40 mins to make and is well worth the wait. If you’ve got more time on your hands, we recommend you make your own puff pastry from scratch. It takes a bit longer but it’s well worth the effort for a delicious and completely homemade classic steak and ale pie. Packed with tender meat, rich gravy and plenty of veggies, we just can't get enough of this classic steak and ale pie recipe. Perfect for a comforting Sunday dinner during colder months, this is a great winter warmer. This recipe makes one large pie, which will feed around 4 to 6 people, depending on how hungry everyone is! This is comfort food at its finest, and everyone will love this steak and ale pie! Don't forget the mashed potato and greens to serve on the side and maybe a jug of gravy...
If you've got time to make your own puff pastry, here's the recipe you'll need for flaky puffy pastry
Hairy Bikers’ steak and ale pie - what you need:
- 900g stewing steak, diced
- 25g flour, plus extra for dusting
- 100g butter
- 2 onions roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 150g button mushrooms
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 400ml good-quality ale
- 500ml beef stock
- Salt and pepper
- 1 egg, beaten for glazing
- 300g ready-made rolled puff pastry or use our easy puff pastry recipe
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/428°F/Gas Mark 7.
- Pour flour into a bowl and season well. Coat the meat with the seasoned flour.
- Heat half the butter in a heated pan and add the meat. Sear all over until golden brown.
- Add the vegetables, herbs, ale and stock. Bring to a simmer, then cover with a lid and gently simmer for 1 hr. When cooked, season, add the remaining butter and pour into an ovenproof serving dish.
- Brush the edge of the dish with the beaten egg. Roll out the pastry using as little flour as possible and place over the dish. Pinch the edges of the dish so that the pastry will stick to it and trim off any remaining pieces of pastry from around the edge. Brush the pastry top thoroughly with the remaining beaten egg and place on a baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for 20-30 mins until the pastry is golden brown on top.
Want to make the Hairy Bikers' steak and ale pie now and then freeze it to enjoy later? Read our guide on how to freeze pie...
Then all that is left to do is wait for the pie to defrost before popping in a hot oven. It will still taste delicious and you've already done the hard part!
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.