Apple and berry Cheerios bars
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
These crunchy, fruity cereal bars are a good solution for the school lunchbox or for snacking on at any time of the day. Packed with all good things – this all-in-one method makes them so simple to make.
- 140g Cheerios whole
- 115g self-raising flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- 85g dried cherry and berry mix
- 2tbsp muscovado sugar
- 1 medium dessert apple, cored and chopped small
- 150ml/ 1/4 pint semi-skimmed milk
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 3tbsp light olive oil or sunflower oil
- Icing sugar for dusting (optional)
You can use chopped pear in place of the apple. Dried cranberries and raisins also work well in this recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/400°F/gas mark 6.
- Line a 20cm x 25cm tin with baking parchment.
- Place 100g of the Cheerios in a mixing bowl along with the flour, baking powder, cherry and berry mix, sugar and apple and stir together until well combined.
- Add the milk, egg and oil and briefly mix again.
- Spoon into the prepared tin and spread evenly. Sprinkle over the remaining Cheerios and lightly press them into the mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes until golden and just firm. Leave to cool for a few minutes then lift out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Lightly dust with icing sugar and use a large knife cut into 10 bars.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 186(kcal)
- Fat 5.0g
- Saturates 0.9g
- Sugars 15.8g
- Salt 0.6g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.