Hairy Bikers' paella
Skill level: Bit of effort
If you're having a Spanish night in, but don't want to got to too much trouble, try The Hairy Bikers' easy-to-follow seafood paella recipe. This dish will take only 45 mins to prepare and cook and will feed a family of 4. The mixture of seafood and the spicy flavour the chorizo sausage adds to the dish really makes this paella extra special. This mouth-watering Spanish favourite is best made and eaten on the same day but any leftovers can be stored in the fridge and reheated thoroughly the next day. Just be cautious when it comes to reheating seafood and rice and make sure they're piping hot before serving. The Hairies love Mediterranean cooking and here and in their Best of British series, they show you their perfect paella recipe. Enjoy!
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek or onion, sliced
- 110g chorizo sausage. Chopped
- 1tsp turmeric
- 300g long grain rice
- 1ltr hot fish or chicken stock
- 200g frozen peas
- 400g seafood mix
It's a good idea to keep a close eye on your paella and keep stirring often, adding a little stock every now and again if it gets too dry.
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan.
- Saute the leek or onion for 5 mins (avoid browning).
- Add the chorizo and fry until it releases oils.
- Stir in the turmeric and rice until coated by the oil.
- Pour in the stock and bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Add the peas and cook for 5 mins.
- Stir in the seafood to heat through for 2 mins or until rice is cooked.
- Season and serve immediately with lemon wedges.
Fancy making a traditional paella? Try our classic how to make paella recipe