Roast chicken and pepper salad
Cooking time:(may need an extra 5 mins)
Skill level: Bit of effort
Fancy something light but satisfying? Dig into this chunky chicken salad, packed with sweet roasted peppers and topped with crunchy ciabatta croutons, which only take 5 minutes to make
IngredientsFor the salad:
- 3 skinless chicken breasts
- 1 each red, yellow and orange peppers, deseeded and roughly sliced
- 6tbsp Italian dressing, plus extra to serve
- 150g green beans
- 125g baby leaf spinach
- Parmesan shavings, to serve
For the croutons:
- ½ ciabatta loaf torn into 2cm chunks
- 2tbsp olive oil
You can use up your leftover roast chicken in this recipe. Just roast the peppers as instructed, then add any leftover chicken 5 minutes from the end to warm it up and add some flavour to it.
- Heat oven to 200ºC or gas mark 6.
- Place chicken and peppers on a large roasting tray. Drizzle with the dressing and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 25-30 mins, turning the peppers occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through (to check insert a metal skewer into the thickest part of the breast, and press. If the juices run clear, it is cooked). Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, bring a pan of water to the boil, add the beans, and boil for 3 mins. Drain and plunge into cold water for a minute. Drain again.
- Meanwhile, place ciabatta in a large bowl, season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then drizzle with the oil. Mix quickly using your hands, then tip onto a baking sheet. Place in the oven for 5 mins, until golden.
- To serve: toss the spinach and beans with a splash of dressing, then place on serving plates. Slice the chicken and scatter over the leaves with peppers and any cooled pan juices. Sprinkle with Parmesan and croutons and serve.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 434(kcal)
- Fat 21.2g
- Saturates 3.2g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.