BBQ chicken salad
Prep time:(including marinating time)
Skill level: Easy peasy
Marinate the chicken in BBQ sauce the night before and this chicken salad is ready in just 20 minutes, the next day. This recipe serves 2 people and takes 40 mins to prepare and cook. This BBQ chicken salad recipe is a great way of using up leftover BBQ chicken from your barbecue feast the day before. Store your chicken in the fridge in tin foil or an airtight container and add to this salad recipe for a filling lunch the next day.
IngredientsFor the salad:
- 2 chicken breasts, or 10 mini fillets
- 3tbsp barbecue sauce
- 1tbsp olive or sunflower oil
- 8 baby corn
- 8 sugar snap peas
- ½ red Onion
- Handful of rocket
- 1 baby gem lettuce or iceberg
For the dressing:
- 3tbsp barbecue sauce
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 1tbsp honey
- ½ lemon
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Ciabatta bread
- Parmesan cheese
You can marinate your chicken in whatever marinade you like. Make your own by mixing soya sauce, ketchup, honey, crushed garlic, lemon and hot pepper sauce together.
- Coat the chicken breasts or fillets with the barbecue sauce and leave to marinate for a minimum of 20 mins in the fridge, preferably overnight. Chill the rest of the salad ingredients well.
- Heat a griddle or frying pan until very hot. Brush the chicken mini fillets or breasts lightly with oil. Brown on one side for about 2-5 mins, depending upon the size and thickness of the chicken. Turn and brown on the other side for another 2-5 mins, or until fully cooked.
- Transfer the chicken to a square of tin foil and seal tightly. Let the chicken rest for 5 mins but keep warm.
- With the pan still on the heat, add the barbecue sauce and reduce the sauce for about a min to take all the flavour from the pan. Pour the hot sauce into a bowl, add the olive oil and lemon juice and allow to cool.
- Cut the lettuce into about 15mm strips, wash in cold water and allow to drain. Place the rocket and torn lettuce in two deep bowls. Slice the baby corn, halve sugar snap peas and slice the red onion and distribute among the bowls and toss gently.
- Unwrap the chicken and slice diagonally. Place on top of the salads. Pour the warm dressing over the salads. Add sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve with warmed Ciabatta bread and shaved Parmesan cheese.