Phil Vickery's curried Spam pilaff
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Use up any leftover veg and that tin of Spam in this tasty curried rice dish with cashew nuts. Perfect for a cheap family dinner and it tastes delicious too
- 2tbsp olive oil
- ½tsp dried chilli flakes
- ½tsp turmeric
- ½tsp cumin seeds
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 courgette, cut into 1cm cubes, roughly
- 1x 410g can chickpeas, drained well
- 100g frozen peas
- 225g Basmati rice
- 2 x 200g cans Spam™, cut into 1cm cubes
- 600mls boiling water
- ½tsp pepper
- 4tbsp unsalted cashew nuts
- Chopped fresh coriander, optional
- Natural yogurt, optional
- Heat the oven to 200°C or gas mark 6.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan.
- Add the spices and cook for 2-3 mins without burning.
- Add the onion, garlic and courgettes and cook for 2-3 mins to brown slightly.
- Next add the chickpeas, frozen peas and rice and mix well to coat the rice.
- Add the Spam, boiling water, pepper and nuts and mix well.
- Bring to the boil, cover with a tight fitting lid and place in the oven. Cook for 14-16 mins, or until fluffy and all the water absorbed.
- When cooked, remove from the oven, fork up well, then place the lid back on and leave for 10 mins before eating.
- Serve with a little chopped coriander and a blob of natural yoghurt.
Copyright Phil Vickery