Poached pineapple with lime syrup
- 125g (4oz) caster sugar
- Grated rind and juice of 2 limes
- 1tbsp rum, optional
- 1 medium pineapple, peeled, cored and sliced
- A few pineapple leaves, to decorate
Cookery Editor, Sue McMahon, says this dessert is delicious served with coconut ice cream
- Pour 4tbsp of water into a pan and add the sugar. Place the pan over a medium heat and stir until the sugar dissolves. Use a damp pastry brush to wash down any sugar crystals from the sides of the pan. Donít stir the mixture any more, but allow it to simmer until it turns a pale golden colour.
- Remove the pan from the heat and then pour in 100ml (3Ĺfl oz) water, taking care in case it splatters. Swirl the water around until it mixes with the caramelised sugar to give a pale golden syrup. If necessary, return the pan briefly to the heat to melt the sugar.
- Stir the lime rind and juice into the syrup, and the rum, if using.
- Place the pineapple slices in a bowl and pour the syrup over. Chill the pineapple, turning the slices occasionally in the syrup, for at least 4 hrs, or overnight.
- Serve pineapple slices with some of the syrup spooned over them, and use a few pineapple leaves as decoration.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 102(kcal)
- Fat 0.0g
- Saturates 0.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.