The Hummingbird Bakery frosted brownie
Makes: 12 portions
Skill level: Bit of effort
This Hummingbird Bakery recipe is a great alternative to the traditional brownie. It's more cake-like, contains nuts and is topped with chocolatey cream-cheese frosting
IngredientsFor the cake:
- 5 eggs
- 500g caster sugar
- 120g plain flour
- 100g cocoa powder
- 250g unsalted butter, melted
- 30g shelled walnuts, chopped
- 30g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
For the frosting:
- 200g icing sugar, sifted
- 75g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 30g cocoa powder, sifted
- 150g cream cheese, cold
- a 33 x 23 x 5-cm baking tray, lined with greaseproof paper
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F) Gas 3.
- Put the eggs and sugar in a large bowl and beat with a handheld electric whisk until light and fluffy. Add the flour and cocoa powder and beat until all the ingredients are well mixed. Pour in the melted butter and mix through. Stir the walnuts and chocolate in by hand until evenly dispersed.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking tray and bake in the preheated oven for about 30–35 minutes, or until the top is firm but the centre is still soft. Leave to cool completely.
For the frosting:
- Beat together the icing sugar, butter and cocoa powder in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk) on medium-slow speed until the mixture comes together and is well mixed.
- Add the cream cheese in one go and beat until it is completely incorporated. Turn the mixer up to medium-high speed. Continue beating until the frosting is light and fluffy, at least 5 minutes. Do not overbeat, as it can quickly become runny.
- When the brownie is cold, spread the frosting over the top.
Photography by Peter Cassidy
Published by Ryland Peters & Small
Text © Tarek Malouf and The Hummingbird Bakers
Photography copyright Ryland Peters & Small