Total time:(not including decorating time)
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Splashing out
Love Twilight? You'll love these beautiful Twilight cupcakes decorated with the famous red apple (the forbidden fruit) and name disks for team Edward, team Jacob or Bella fans
IngredientsFor the cupcakes:
- 150g caster sugar
- 150g butter at room temperature
- 3 eggs
- 150g self-raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 2tbsp good quality vanilla extract
- 12 large muffin cases
- Ice-cream scoop
- 12 hole muffin tray
For the butter icing:
- 200g icing sugar
- 100g butter at room temperature
- 1tsp good quality vanilla extract
- Red, scarlet or ruby food colouring, liquid or paste
For the decoration:
- Ready made red sugarpaste to make the apples
- Ready made black sugarpaste to make the apple stems, hearts and name disks
- Black edible glitter or sprinkle, optional
- Piping bag
- Small star nozzle
- Writing nozzle
- Different-sized mini heart-shaped cutters
- 5cm plain round cutter
Get creative and decorate your cakes however you like. You could use vampire fangs sweets or buy cake decorations if you're short on decorating time.
- Preheat oven to 170°C/325°F/gas mark 3.
- For the cupcakes: Cream the caster sugar and butter together with a whisk or by hand until pale and fluffy.
- Whisk in an egg at a time until incorporated.
- Add flour to the mix, the baking powder and vanilla extract then whisk until there are no flour lumps. Be careful not to over whisk.
- Use an ice-cream scoop to divide the mixture between the muffin cases and bake in the pre-heated oven for 20 mins, or until golden. Test by inserting a skewer, which should come out clean if the cupcakes are cooked. Cool the cupcakes on a wire rack.
- For the butter icing: Whisk the butter, icing sugar and vanilla extract together until pale and fluffy.
- For the decorations: Reserve half of the icing for the white cakes.
- Add the red, scarlet or ruby food colouring to the other half.
- Roll out 5-6 little apple shapes with the red sugarpaste and use a knife to create a little hole in the top.
- Now roll out tiny apple stems with the black sugarpaste and slot them into each of the holes in the apples.
- Roll out the rest of the black sugarpaste and use different-sized cutters to create tiny hearts and 3-4 small disks.
- To decorate: Decorate half of the cupcakes using the white butter icing using with a butter knife.
- Fill the star nozzled piping bag/gun with the red icing and pipe onto the cupcakes.
- Now place the apples on the white iced cakes and the hearts and glitter on some of the red iced cakes and any remaining white ones.
- Use the writing nozzle to pipe Team Edward, Team Jacob and Bella onto the black disks. Let the writing set before transferring disks onto the red iced cakes.