Chocolate raspberry cupcakes
Skill level: Bit of effort
Chocolate and raspberry cupcakes count as a portion of fruit and vegetable right? Even if they don't we love these raspberry chocolate cupcakes so much that we are willing to ditch the diet. You won't discover the raspberry until you bite into the rich chocolate sponge and they start oozing red liquid - which is actually just raspberry jam, making these criminally easy to make. The raspberry chocolate cupcakes are perfect for both Valentines' Day (who can beat chocolate in a red and pink theme?) or Halloween (or Twilight themed vampire parties). The red raspberry sauce looks suitably gruesome for your kids and big kids alike!
IngredientsFor the cupcakes:
- 115g caster sugar
- 115g unsalted butter, softened
- 85g self raising flour
- 30g cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 1tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 270g unsalted butter, softened
- 270g icing sugar
- 100g melted dark chocolate, cooled to room temperature
- 4tbsp cocoa powder
- Ready-made raspberry compote or high fruit content jam
- Icing bag
- Long, round icing tip
You could fill these cupcakes with cherry compote, any of your favourite jams or even orangey marmalade.
- Preheat the oven at 170ºC/325ºF/gas mark 3.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy, before beating in the eggs until well combined. Sift in the remaining ingredients and fold in until smooth. Spoon into cupcake cases and bake for 20 mins, then allow to cool completely.
- To fill the cupcakes: Spoon the raspberry compote into an icing bag with a long round icing tip.
- Insert a kebab stick into the centre of the cupcake and wiggle around to make a little channel for the filling. Insert the icing tip into the channel and squeeze the raspberry sauce in until you feel it's about to overflow.
- For the icing: Beat the butter until pale and fluffy, sift the icing sugar in a little at a time and finally mix through the cooled melted chocolate. If the icing becomes too thin, add sifted cocoa powder to thicken it up.
- Spread or pipe the chocolate icing onto the cupcakes.