Raspberry and hazelnut meringue torte
- 6 egg whites
- 375g caster sugar
- 1tsp cornflour
- 1tsp white wine vinegar
- 150g shelled hazelnuts, skin still on, chopped
- 300ml tub whipping cream
- 2tbsp icing sugar
- 250g raspberries
- 125g redcurrants, plus more for dredging
- 2 baking sheets
- Bakewell/baking paper
Use plates/bowls/pan lids as a guide when drawing your circles.
- Set the oven to 150°C or gas mark 2. Draw three circles of about 21cm, 18cm and 15cm on the Bakewell paper, then place on the baking sheets.
- Whisk egg whites until stiff, whisk in half the sugar, then gradually whisk in the remainder. Mix the cornflour and vinegar to a smooth paste and fold into egg whites with all but 1 heaped tbsp of the nuts. Spread meringue in the three circles. Sprinkle nuts on the smallest one.
- Bake for 1 hour. Turn the oven off and leave the meringues in for another hour or longer. Take out and cool.
- Whip the cream with the sugar until it just holds it shape. Crush most of the fruit with a fork and fold into the cream to give a marbled effect. Spread it over the 2 larger meringues. Sandwich them together, with the small one on top. Pop the reserved whole fruits round the edges. Dust with icing sugar.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 390(kcal)
- Fat 22.0g
- Saturates 8.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.