Phil Vickery's carrot cake
Top tip: Make icing or marzipan ‘carrots’ coloured with food colouring to decorate your cake for a special occasion.
You can also make muffin-sized carrot cakes - simply spoon the mixture into 12 muffin cases in a muffin tin and bake for approximately 25 mins.
IngredientsFor the carrot cake:
- 100g (4oz) light brown soft sugar
- 3 medium eggs, beaten
- 4tbsp sunflower oil
- Half a 405g can light condensed milk
- 150g (6oz) self-raising flour
- ½ tsp ground mixed spice
- 1tsp baking powder
- Zest of 1 orange and 2tbsp juice
- 55g (2oz) raisins
- 55g (2oz) ground almonds
- 350g (12oz) carrots, peeled and grated
- 100g (3½ oz) walnut pieces (optional)
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 150g (5½ oz) cream cheese
- 4tbsp light condensed milk
- Lemon and orange zest
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (355°F or gas mark 4).
- Grease a 20cm (8in) square cake tin and base-line with greaseproof paper. In a large bowl whisk the eggs and sugar together until thick and creamy. Slowly whisk in the oil and half the tin of the condensed milk.
- Mix in the remaining cake ingredients. Pour into the tin and bake for 45-50 mins until well risen. Cool on a wire rack.
- To prepare the frosting, place the cream cheese in a bowl and beat until smooth, sweeten with the condensed milk. Spread the frosting over the carrot cake.
- Decorate with lemon and orange zest.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.