Skill level: Bit of effort
Get the kids involved in baking these fun and tasty giant cookies. Teach them how to make basic cookies then get them to decorate them however they like
IngredientsFor the cookies:
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- 250g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ½tsp natural vanilla extract
- 500g plain white flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- A selection of cakecraft products (try Silver Spoon writing icing, jelly drops and choc chips)
When you want to add food colour to ready to roll icing, dip the tip of a wooden skewer into the food colour and prod the icing with the dipped skewer. Fold and lightly knead the icing until the colour is evenly distributed. Repeat if you want to deeper stronger colour.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C / fan oven 150°C / 325°F/ gas mark 3.
- You will need a non-stick baking tray or line a baking tray with non-stick parchment paper.
- Beat together the butter and sugar in a large bowl, preferably using an electric mixer, until the mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract. If the mixture looks a little curdled add a spoonful of flour.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder in a separate bowl. Stir into the butter mixture. Work into a dough using floured hands. Turn onto a floured board and knead into a ball. Divide the dough in two.
- Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for at least 1 hr.
- Place half the dough on a floured board and dust with a little flour. Roll out to a thickness of a pound coin and cut out the shapes.
- Place the shapes slightly apart on a non-stick baking tray and cook for 10-12 mins or until lightly coloured. Cool on a rack. Repeat until all the dough is used.
- Now the fun begins: Use a selection of cakecraft products to decorate, try jelly drops, choc chips, fudge chunks, ready to roll icing, sprinkles, food colours, choc chips, jelly drops, designer icing and writing icing.
The World's Biggest Coffee Morning for Macmillan Cancer Support is on the 24th September 2010. Visit macmillan.org.uk or call 0845 070 1315.