Basic meringue buttercream
- 3 large egg whites
- 250g caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Few drops of vanilla extract
- 300g unsalted butter, softened
When dissolving the sugar in the egg white, put your clean fingers into the mixture to feel whether all the sugar crystals have dissolved.
- Tip the egg whites into a bowl and add the sugar and salt. Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water and stir until the sugar dissolves completely.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and whisk the mixture, preferably using a table-top mixer, until it becomes a thick meringue and whisk in the vanilla extract.
- Cut the butter into chunks and whisk it in - the mixture may collapse and go runny, but keep whisking it at full speed and it will combine together to give a fluffy buttercream.
- Use this buttercream to frost Woman's Weekly's butterfly buns.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 271(kcal)
- Fat 21.0g
- Saturates 13.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.