Sweet butterflied leg of lamb
Prep time:(plus marinating overnight)
Total time:(plus marinating overnight)
Skill level: Easy peasy
It's so easy to make this sweet butterflied leg of lamb recipe. Melt-in-the-mouth lamb that's been marinated in sweet herbs - cook this simple, super tasty dish on the barbecue and your guests will be so impressed! This recipe serves 8 people, perfect for family gatherings and will take around 40 mins to prepare and cook - plus marinating time so make sure you prepare your cut of meat in advance. A portion of this lamb works out at only 293 calories per serving which is ideal if you're trying to eat a little healthier, you're trying to be good or counting calories.
- 1-2 small, boneless legs of lamb, each about 600g
- 1-2 servings of sweet herb marinade
The lamb may be frozen in the marinade for up to a month. Allow to defrost well overnight before cooking on the barbecue.
- Open out the lamb to flatten it and use the tip of a sharp knife to score a criss-cross in the skin. Place the lamb in a freezer bag. If doing 2 pieces, use 2 bags. Pour in 1 quantity of the marinade for each piece of lamb. Seal the bag, then work the marinade over the meat. Leave the lamb in the fridge overnight, turning the bag now and then to make sure that the meat is well coated in marinade.
- Place the marinated lamb over a medium heat on the barbecue and cook it for about 20-30 mins, turning it after 10 mins and brushing over any remaining marinade in the bag.
- The lamb should still be slightly pink in the middle. Remove the meat from the barbecue and place on a board. Cover with foil to keep it warm and leave for about 10 mins before slicing, for the heat to transfer through to the centre of the meat.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 293(kcal)
- Fat 17.0g
- Saturates 6.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.