- 2 medium aubergines
- 6 tbs olive oil
- 1 level tsp ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 200g carton Greek-style yogurt
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ciabatta loaf, sliced, to serve
- Rocket leaves, to serve
If this is made in advance, stir it well before serving as it may separate slightly.
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 4 or 180°C.
- Place the aubergines directly on the oven shelf with a baking sheet on the shelf below, in case any of the juices drip out of them. Roast them for about 1 hr, turning occasionally until they have softened and the skin has blackened. Remove from the oven, leave them for a few mins until they are cool enough to handle, and then roughly chop.
- Heat 4 tbs oil in a frying pan. Add the cumin and garlic to the pan and then the chopped aubergine. Cook over a medium heat for 3-4 mins. Remove the pan from the heat and leave to cool.
- Tip the aubergine mixture into the bowl of a food processor and add the remaining oil, half the Greek-style yogurt and seasoning, and purée until smooth. Keep the mixture chilled until serving.
- Place slices of bread on the barbecue and turn them occasionally until lightly toasted on both sides.
- Spoon some of the aubergine mixture on to the bread, then top with yogurt and a couple of rocket leaves. Grind black pepper over and serve.