One-pan roast chicken and beetroot
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Lay chicken legs into a roasting tin with seasonal beetroot and carrots, pour over a little wine and olive oil, stick it in the oven for 40 minutes and roast dinner's done!
- 500g new potatoes, cut into wedges
- 250g pack cooked beetroot, cut into half
- 250g Chantenay carrots, or 250g large carrots peeled and cut into 2cm chunks
- 1 onion, cut into large dice
- 3 cloves garlic, cut into fine slices
- 2-3 sprigs for thyme
- 175ml white wine
- 4tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 chicken legs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
You could use any cuts of chicken you like. Breast is more expensive but thighs and wings are cheaper and just as tasty too.
- To start this chicken leg recipe preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6
- In a large roasting tin, mix the potatoes, beetroot, carrots, onion and garlic.
- Drizzle over the olive oil and pour over the wine, and tuck the thyme in between the vegetables. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Season the chicken legs all over with salt and pepper and lay them on top of the vegetables. Cover loosely with foil and bake in the oven for 15 mins.
- Remove the foil from the tin and return to the oven. Bake for a further 20-25 mins or until the chicken is golden and crisp and the vegetable are cooked through.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 423(kcal)
- Fat 17.6g
- Saturates 3.5g
- Sugars 9.9g
- Salt 0.7g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.