Carrot cake cupcakes
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
Carrot cake cupcakes are one of our favourite cupcake recipes of all time. With a moist texture, these carrot cupcakes from the Primrose Bakery are made even more delicious with a topping of cool orange cream cheese icing. The best part is that you only need four basic ingredients to make this sweet frosting that will completely change the flavour of these carrot cake cupcakes - for the better! This carrot cupcake recipe takes around 1 hour to make in total, but it's well worth the effort and the time because they're so delicious and look amazing. You can also buy little carrot cake decorations to add on top - the kids will love them and you can even get them to help you decorate the cupcakes as a fun activity. These easy carrot cake cupcakes are perfect for those of us who find regular cupcakes a bit too sweet and prefer something a bit more subtle.
IngredientsFor the carrot cupcakes:
- 225g grated carrots
- 130g raisins
- 2 large eggs
- 130g caster sugar, preferably golden
- 120ml Mazola Corn Oil
- ½tsp vanilla extract
- 2tsp fresh orange zest
- 120g plain flour
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1tsp Cinnamon
- 175g cream cheese
- 450g icing sugar
- 125g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Zest from one orange
These cupcakes will keep well in an airtight container for a few days and should be kept at room temperature. The icing must be stored in the fridge as it contains cream cheese, but will keep well. Before re-using, let it come to room temperature and then beat again.
- To make this cupcake recipe, preheat the oven to 160ºC (fan)/180ºC/350ºF/gas mark 4. Line two 12 hole muffin tins with cupcake cases or papers.
- Combine the grated carrots and raisins in a large bowl using a wooden spoon and put to one side. Beat the eggs and sugar together for several mins and then carefully add the oil, vanilla extract and orange zest and beat well.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt, and cinnamon into a separate bowl and then slowly add these ingredients to the egg and sugar mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Then pour this mixture into the bowl containing the carrots and raisins and mix by hand using a wooden spoon or spatula until they are well incorporated.
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcakes cases, filling each case about two-thirds of the way up the paper.
- Place the trays in the oven and bake for approx 25 mins. When cooked the cupcakes will be quite dark brown in colour and feel ‘spongy’ to the touch. Allow them to cool in their tins for 10 mins or so before placing on a wire rack to cool.
- For the orange cream cheese icing: Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat well until thoroughly combined and the icing is smooth and pale.
- Once you have iced the carrot cupcakes with this icing, you can finish them off with a sprinkling of cinnamon