Chocolate bread and butter pudding
Prep time:(make the day before)
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 175g dark chocolate (70% cocoa), broken into squares
- 80g unsalted butter
- 300ml single cream
- 150ml double cream
- 100ml milk
- 125g caster sugar
- 4 free-range eggs, beaten
- 4tbsp amaretto (almond liqueur)
- 10 slices bread, crusts removed and each slice cut into 4 triangles
- 10g (about 2) amaretti biscuits
- Put the chocolate, butter, both creams, milk and sugar into a pan. Heat very gently, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate has melted. Remove from the heat and leave to cool for 5 mins.
- Then beat in the eggs and amaretto until combined.
- Pour a ladle of the chocolate custard into a 1.5-litre ovenproof baking dish, then layer up the bread triangles, overlapping them and pouring the chocolate custard in as you go.
- Finish with a layer of chocolate mixture. Press down the bread lightly to make sure the chocolate will cover it all.
- Heat the oven to 180°C (gas mark 4). Bake uncovered for 30 mins, then sprinkle with crushed amaretti and bake for a further 5 mins until crispy on the outside but soft in the middle.
- Stand for 5 mins then serve with ice cream.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 609(kcal)
- Fat 37.0g
- Saturates 21.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.