IngredientsFor the whoopie pies:
- 75g butter
- 1 large egg
- 150g caster sugar
- 150ml buttermilk or soured cream
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 275g plain flour
- ¾tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 100g marshmallows, white or pink, or a mixture
- 3tbsp milk
- 125g butter
- 150g icing sugar
- 2-3tbsp lemon juice
- 2tsp hundreds and thousands or sugar strands
- 2 baking sheets, lined with Bakewell paper
Whoopie pies will keep for a couple of days, unfilled, but are best eaten on the day they’re made.
- Set the oven to gas mark 4 or 180°C. Melt the butter and set it aside. Whisk the egg and sugar until really light and fluffy — use an electric hand-mixer.
- Whisk in the melted butter, buttermilk or soured cream and vanilla, then fold in the flour, sifted with the bicarbonate of soda. Use an ice-cream scoop to measure out the mixture on to the tray — make 16 scoops. Put one tray in the oven while you do the second tray. Bake for 15 mins until light golden.
- To make the filling: Heat the marshmallows with the milk in a small pan over a low heat, stirring until smooth, and leave to cool for about 10 mins. Beat the butter until creamy, then beat in the marshmallow mixture until smooth. Use to fill the pies.
- To make the icing: Sift the icing sugar into a bowl, add 2tbsp lemon juice, then maybe a little more, or some water, to make a glossy, runny icing. Spread a little on each pie and sprinkle with hundreds and thousands or sugar strands straight away. Leave to set.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 515(kcal)
- Fat 22.0g
- Saturates 13.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.