How to make breadcrumbs
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Learn how to make fresh breadcrumbs the easy way then use them in our sweet and savoury breadcrumb recipes like chicken goujons or treacle tart
- 50 g (2oz) day-old bread (white or wholemeal)
- 15 g (½ oz) chopped hazelnuts, optional
Stale bread makes the best breadcrumbs and freezing the bread before processing it makes it easier to turn it into breadcrumbs.
- Place the bread into a processor and process into fine fresh breadcrumbs. (For dried breadcrumbs, toast the bread first). You could also try grating the bread to make fine breadcrumbs if you don't have a food processor.
- Add the nuts and process again to mix together.
- Use the fresh breadcrumbs in our sweet or savoury recipes like chicken goujons or treacle tart. Store fresh breadcrumbs in the freezer and use them as and when.