Berry salad in brandy snap cups
Cooking time:(may need an extra mins)
Total time:(not including resting or cooling time)
Skill level: Bit of effort
Make the most of summer berries like strawberries, raspberries and blueberries and use them in a fresh fruit salad to serve in impressive homemade brandy snap cups
IngredientsFor the brandy snap cups:
- 110g sugar
- 110g butter
- 110g golden syrup
- 110g flour, sifted
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Pinch of ground ginger
For the summer berry salad:
- 200g raspberries
- 200g blueberries
- 400g strawberries
- 50g sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Fresh mint leaves
If you have too many strawberries or raspberries and don't know what to do with them, liquefy them with a little sugar and freeze. Use as a sorbet with desserts like this one.Edwina Gray, 56, Bangor, Gwynedd
- Hull and and quarter the strawberries and place in a serving bowl with the other berries.
- Make a quick syrup by melting the sugar and lemon juice with 2 to 3tbsp of water. Once the sugar is melted, set aside and leave to cool. Once cool, pour over the fruits and leave to rest for at least an hour.
- To make the brandy snap cups: Preheat oven to 190ºC. Line a large baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
- Melt the sugar, butter and syrup together. Remove from the heat and add the flour.
- Add the ginger and the lemon juice. Place a teaspoonful of the mixture on to the baking sheet, leaving room for the mixture to spread. You may need to make two batches. Bake for around 5 or 6 mins or until they are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and when cool enough to handle, scoop each biscuit up with a knife and lightly press inside a small cup to shape, remove and place on a cooling rack, repeat for each brandy snap cup.
- To serve: Place a brandy snap cup on a plate, fill with the berry salad, add a scoop of strawberry ice cream and spoon over a litte juice. Decorate with fresh mint leaves.