Cooking time:(may need a couple of mins more)
Skill level: Bit of effort
French crepes are quick and simple to make once you master your flipping technique (just watch our easy video to get them perfect every time). Leave out the alcoholic port if you're serving these crepes to kids
Crepes or pancakes are really easy to make. A good tip is to practice a few times before you begin making them for real. You will have plenty of batter to waste on one or two disasters. The trick is to make sure you always have enough melted but not burned butter in your crepe pan and the temperature remains constant.
- 400g strawberries
- 400g raspberries or a combination of other red fruit
- 50g caster sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Dash of port (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 200g flour
- 600ml milk
- 50g butter melted
- Quarter the strawberries and place in a bowl with the other fruits, pour over the port (if using), lemon juice and caster sugar and leave to steep while you make the pancake batter.
- In a large mixing bowl or food processor, sieve the flour and salt together, add the eggs, then the flour and milk and beat together with the melted butter for a min or so or until you have a thick but easy to pour batter.
- Warm up a plate in the oven to place the finished pancakes on and keep them warm. Remember to dust each pancake with a little caster sugar as you stack them to stop them from sticking to each other.
- Melt a knob of butter in a non-stick frying pan and heat on a moderate flame. Using a little of the batter mix, test the temperature and your pancake flipping skills and modify accordingly.
- When you're ready, use a ladle or small jug to pour out a little batter into the pan, and cook each pancake for about a min on each side. If you don't wish to flip each one, make slightly smaller ones and use a spatula to turn.
- Fold the pancakes twice to make an open parcel. Fill 2 parcels with fruit per person, sprinkle over a little more fruit, and serve with ice cream and a dash of the fruit juices. Kelly's Strawberries and Cream Ice Cream goes perfectly with this fruit crepes recipe.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.