Gizzi Erskine's blackberry Bakewell cake
Skill level: Bit of effort
If you've got a load of blackberries from your garden or have bought some on offer, use them in Gizzi Erskine's delicious low GI blackberry Bakewell cake.
- 1 orange
- 3 medium free-range eggs
- 200g Fructose, Xylitol or golden caster sugar
- 55g plain flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 300g fresh blackberries
- 200g ground almonds
- 1 handful flaked almonds
Top tip: Fructose and Xylitol are natural and have a really low GI level.
- Put the orange in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hr.
- Halve the orange, remove the pips, then purée in a blender, skin and all.
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC. Oil a 20cm, round spring-form cake tin and line with a disc of baking parchment.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together until pale and thick. Fold in the flour, baking powder, ground almonds and orange purée. Finally stir in the fresh blackberries.
- Pour into the tin, sprinkle with the flaked almonds and bake for one hour until the top is golden. Do keep an eye on it for the last 15 mins as fructose sugar is slightly more likely to catch.
- The cake will be fairly dark though. Leave to cool for 10 mins, then turn out on to a rack and cool completely. Sift over icing sugar and serve with a cup of tea.