Beetroot soup with goat's cheese croutons
Skill level: Easy peasy
Love beetroot? Cook it up in a delicious and filling seasonal soup with crunchy, cheesy croutons on top. This beetroot soup is only 280 calories per portion.
IngredientsFor the beetroot soup:
- 500g cooked beetroot (2 packets), cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 750ml vegetable stock
For the croutons:
- 4 slices of baguette
- Olive oil for brushing
- 1 peeled garlic clove, cut in half
- 1 small goat's cheese (try Capricorn), cut into rounds
- 4 sage leaves, finely sliced
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (gas mark 6).
- In a large saucepan, sweat the onion gently in the olive until it softens. This will take around 10 mins - be careful not to burn the onions, you are not trying to caramelize them.
- Whilst the onions are cooking start the croutons. Brush the bread slice on both sides with olive oil and bake in the oven for 10 mins or until they are crisp and dry.
- When the onions are soft, add the crushed garlic to the pan and gently fry for a further min and then add the beetroot, stock and balsamic vinegar. Bring to the boil and simmer for a couple of mins.
- Using a liquidiser or stick blender, blend the soup until really smooth. Keep warm whilst you finish the croutons.
- Rub the garlic clove over one side of the now dried bread slices and top each slice with a round of goats cheese. Sprinkle over the sliced sage leaves and finish with a drizzle of olive oil. Put back in the oven for a few minutes until the cheese has begun to melt.
- Pour the soup in bowls and float a crouton on top of each. Serve immediately.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 280(kcal)
- Fat 16.8g
- Saturates 6.8g
- Sugars 11.2g
- Salt 2.8g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.