Berry sponge cake
Watch our video below on how to make a Victoria sponge cake.
IngredientsFor the sponge cake:
- 225g (8oz) soft butter
- 225g (8oz) caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 225g (8oz) self-raising flour, sifted
- Finely grated zest half a lemon
For the berry filling:
- 75g (3oz) butter, softened
- 2tsp (10ml) lemon juice
- 100g (4oz) icing sugar, sifted
- 5tbsp berry conserve, try Baxters Country Berry Conserve
- Icing sugar to dust
- 2 x 20cm/8" sandwich cake tins
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (fan 160ºC, gas mark 4). Grease and base line two sandwich cake tins.
- Place the butter and sugar in a large bowl, then use an electric whisk to beat them together until pale and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs, beating well between additions - add a little flour to prevent curdling.
- Sift over the flour, then gently fold in along with the lemon zest and 30ml/2tbsp water - the mixture should softly drop off the spoon.
- Divide the mixture between the two tins and bake for 25-30 mins until the sponge is risen and golden - it should spring back when lightly touched in the centre. Cool in the tins for 5 mins, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the icing: Use an electric whisk to beat the butter and lemon juice together until pale and fluffy, then sift over the icing sugar and slowly beat into the mixture. Peel the lining paper from the base of the cold sponges.
- Place one sponge cake on a plate, spread over the icing, then the top with the conserve. Gently place the second sponge on top and dust with icing sugar. Serve in wedges.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.